Learning chess opening is a very difficult task. There are many procedures to learn chess opening. But in this article I will tell you the perfect method to learn any chess openings. You can become a master from a beginner by applying these skills without any coaching.
If you have any coach who is teaching you then you don’t have to worry about preparation. He can help you with it. But if you are an individual player who cannot afford a coach or proper resources is not available, then you will find many difficulties
Why learning opening is a must?
leaning chess openings is a must for every player. If you don’t know openings properly then you will lose instantly. If you are playing serious chess then you know how difficult it is to play without proper opening knowledge.
learning opening helps you to beat your opponent faster and in a smoother way. The opening is a key part of the game and hence opening study is very important.
Step by step guide to learn chess opening
- Select your favorite opening – For selecting openings there are various criteria. If you filter with that criteria then you will find that it is very easy to prepare chess openings. Chess is so beautiful game and learning openings are way more beautiful than you expect. The first criteria are to find out which type of player you are. If you are an attacking player then you have to choose openings that are open and don’t allow many exchanges. If you like to defend then you must select openings that are closed. If you are good in middlegame then you have to choose openings that allow multiple exchanges and get your position into the easy endgame.
- Buy a DVD/book – To study openings you have to purchase books or DVDs. There are plenty of books which are available in the market to study. Also, there are a lot of websites that provide online material. Books and DVDs generally range from $30-$100.
Choose a book of a top grandmaster or at least titled player. Dont purchase any random book. Study that book or DVD by heart and then follow the next procedure. You can get a lot of books from the following websites
1- New in chess
2- Thinkers Publications
3- Quality chess
- Save notes and opening variations – After doing this full study, then you have to take notes or study your variations in that opening. Here is the procedure. First, take notes and highlight them in the book. Then download this free ChessBase reader software and play with it. Then create a database on this software and your notes there.
Also, you can save your whole book if you have time. Also, download stockfish 13 which is a free and open-source engine.
- Watch various games – Watching various games will help you much. You can watch games from the ChessBase reader app only. Just open a new board and press enter key then you will find millions of game databases. You can make your moves and games will automatically get filtered.
There are multiple other websites from which you can watch top players’ games. Watching games will help you to develop your gameplay.
- Play online games and practice – Play online games and prepare it the key to success. Once you learned chess opening in deep then just start playing a lot of online games on chess.com and lichess.org. These are the best websites to play chess online.
Analyze these games by heart and learn from mistakes. Try to stick to only one opening and if possible then only one variation. This will help you a lot. After analysis, save this game on your computer. When you will play the OTB tournament then it will be much easy to study by doing this.
Hope you enjoyed this step-by-step guide. If you enjoyed then don’t forgot to share this article.